Sunday, June 19, 2011

19 June 2011

It’s been two weeks today.  I spent most of the day lounging and watching American movies.  Yesterday was our first full day of screening.  We completed approximately 350 students in just two hours or so (Std II-VII).  The faculty at Crescent School was quite helpful after all.  Despite the appearance of the school, there is real need among its students.

I went to a couple of temples tonight with Auntie and Uncle.  First was a manmade cave temple to Krishna.  It reminded me a lot of Alvin’s Island in Panama City.  The carvings, however, were very good, depicting the many myths that surround him.

Finally, I have seen the famous Big Bull Temple of Bull Temple Rd.  I now know why it’s a landmark.  The stone murthy was extremely impressive.  I might actually go back before leaving.

We also visited Dodda Ganapathi which seemed to have huge popularity.  There was significant waiting and pushing required to catch just a glimpse.

All in all, I see a lot of similarities between the Hindu rituals and those seen in the West.  Unfortunately, the role of money seems to be one of the most striking resemblances.

Me cooking Maggi

Me and Auntie watching tv

Aravind taking pictures of me watching tv

No comments:

Post a Comment